Let us help you find something good to read!
Visit the Readers Nook to find lists of what the Library staff have been reading. We all have different tastes, so there’s sure to be someone whose reading preferences align with yours!
Want personalized help?
Click here to answer a few questions and get a list of suggestions from our librarians!
Online Book Reviews
Websites for Readers
Looking for books that have exactly the kind of characters, plot, or tone that you love? Need research for a book discussion? NoveListPlus has all of this and more, and only requires your library card number to sign in.
General Fiction & Non-Fiction
- Fantastic Fiction: Great for sorting out series order; usually features multiple cover images for a single book; author pages have a “recommends” section where you can see what blurbs an author has written for other authors.
- Great American Read: A winners’ list from the 2018 PBS series, in which an online survey was conducted to determine America’s 100 best-loved novels.
- Book Marks: Literary Hub’s book review aggregator.
- Kirkus Reviews: Reviews books across all genres, including many independent or self published titles that are otherwise ignored.
- Mostly Fiction: Tons of reviews (including some non-fiction); you can even limit your search to reviews that feature reader’s guides.
- Good Reads: A seemingly endless source of reader reviews; just don’t forget to take them with a grain of salt.
- What’s Next: Books in Series Helpful when you want to read series books in order.
Mystery & Thriller
- The Hidden Staircase: Reviews and upcoming releases.
- Stop You’re Killing Me: Indexes mysteries by subgenre, setting, time frame, and even the occupation of the protagonist; also has an extensive list of mystery awards.
Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Locus Magazine: Reviews, bestseller lists, new releases, author interviews, and industry news.
- Worlds Without End: Reading lists, rankings, reviews, news and more.
- SFSignal: One of the best (among many) SF blogs, frequently updated reviews and news.
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database: Extremely detailed database of speculative fiction authors and their works, great resource if you are looking for older titles.
- All About Romance: Reading lists, reviews with a sensuality scale, readers forums.
- Romance Reviews Today: Tons of romance reviews.
- Historical Novel Society: Tons of reviews and even some helpful guides to specific subgenres or historical settings.
- Historical Novels: Blog with reviews, news and booklists.
- Comics Journal: Reviews, interviews, news, and upcoming releases.
- Graphic Novel Reporter: Best-of lists, reviews, and new and upcoming releases.
- Grovel: Reviews, previews, indexes by writer or artist, features a graphic novel genre list and more.
- Comics Beat: The news blog of comics culture. Includes reviews and sales information.
- Comic Book Database: Search or browse by title, creator, character, and more. A good resource for series information.
Reading Group Resources
Websites to help you choose discussion books
General Reader’s Guides
- NoveList: Readers’ Guides are under the “Quick Links” heading at the top of the page. Sign in with your library card.
- Book Browse
- Lit Lovers
- Reading Group Guides
Publishers’ Guides & Selections