Answer a few questions to get a personalized list of
suggestions from our librarians!
Need to find read-a-likes or criticism for your book discussions? Looking for audiobooks or novels that have exactly the kind of characters, plot, or tone that you love? Novelist has all of this and more, and only requires your library card.
Check out our blogs for an idea of what we have been reading!
Follow these links to find up to date lists of bestsellers.
Online Book Reviews
Online Readers’ Advisory Resources
General Fiction & Non-Fiction
- Fantastic Fiction: Great for sorting out series order, usually features multiple cover images for a single book, author pages have a “recommends” section where you can see what blurbs an author has written for other authors.
- Kirkus Reviews: Reviews books across all genres, including many independent or self published titles that are otherwise ignored.
- Mostly Fiction: Tons of reviews (including some non-fiction), you can even limit your search to reviews that feature reader’s guides.
- Good Reads: A seemingly endless source of reader reviews, just don’t forget to take them with a grain of salt.
- What’s Next: Books in Series Helpful when you want to read series books in order
- Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels
- Modern Library’s 100 Best Non-Fiction Titles
Mystery & Thriller
- The Hidden Staircase: Reviews and upcoming releases.
- StopYou’re Killing Me: Indexes mysteries by subgenre, setting, timeframe, and even the occupation of the protagonist, also has an extensive list of mystery awards.
Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Locus Magazine: Reviews, bestseller lists, new releases, author interviews, & industry news.
- Worlds Without End: Reading lists, rankings, reviews,news and more.
- SFSignal: One of the best (among many) SF blogs, frequently updated reviews and news.
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database: Extremely detailed database of speculative fiction authors and their works, great resource if you are looking for older titles.
- Romantic Times: News, new releases, & reviews that feature a sensuality scale (Mild, Hot, or Scorcher) so that you know what you’re getting yourself into, plus plenty of reviews of non-romance titles from a unique perspective.
- All About Romance: Reading lists, reviews with a sensuality scale, readers forums.
- Romance Reviews Today: Tons of romance reviews.
- Historical Novel Society: Tons of reviews and even some helpful guides to specific subgenres or historical settings.
- Historical Novels: Blog with reviews, news and booklists.
- Comics Journal: Reviews, interviews, news, and upcoming releases.
- Graphic Novel Reporter: Best-of lists, reviews, and new and upcoming releases.
- Grovel: Reviews, previews, indexes by writer or artist, features a graphic novel genre list and more.
- Comics Beat: The news blog of comics culture. Includes reviews and sales information.
- Comic Book Database: Search or browse by title, creator, character, and more. A good resource for series information.
Reading Group Resources
General Reader’s Guides
- NoveList: Reader’s Guides are under the “More” heading at the top of the page.
- Book Browse
- Reading Group Guides
Publisher’s Guides & Selections
- Anchor, Vintage, & Knopf
- Bantam & Doubleday
- Harper Collins
- Houghton Mifflin
- Random House
- Simon & Schuster