Library positions which are open and for which applicants are sought are advertised in local newspapers, the Reaching Across Illinois Library System website, and other regional library publications. Those people whose skills and credentials most closely match what we are seeking will be contacted for interviews. Employees are selected solely on the basis of merit and in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws prohibiting discrimination. The Thomas Ford Memorial Library is an equal opportunity employer. Appointments are made by the Library Director and are subject to approval by the Library Board.
More about working at Thomas Ford may be learned from its personnel policy. Personnel Policy [PDF].
Applicants seeking nonprofessional positions at the Thomas Ford Memorial Library should complete the application form. Application for Employment. When completed, please submit the form at the Circulation Desk.
Job Title: Head of Adult Services
Employer: Thomas Ford Memorial Library
Library Type: Public
Full-time exempt position
Job Description (PDF)
The Thomas Ford Memorial Library seeks an energetic, collaborative, and forward-thinking professional to serve as Head of Adult Services. The successful candidate will have innovative ideas concerning library service, care deeply about excellent customer service, be knowledgeable about current technology and its application in public libraries, and exhibit a willingness to consistently exceed patron expectations. As a representative of the Library in and outside our building, strong communications skills are required.
• Manages the Adult Services Department, setting goals, assessing performance, and providing reports and statistics.
• Develops a proposed budget to meet the Department’s goals.
• Curates adult materials in accordance with professional standards and the Library’s Collection Development Policy.
• Develops and implements a variety of programs and special events that capture the interest of adults in the community.
• Coordinates marketing and promotion of all departmental programs.
• Demonstrates considerable knowledge of and ability to use and troubleshoot PCs and a variety of hardware/software applications.
• Exhibits initiative and professionalism in seeking out, developing, and maintaining effective relationships with local organizations and other community agencies.
• Works to create a warm and welcoming environment for every patron.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who enjoys working with creative people, engaging with patrons, and bringing a sense of humor to work. We are committed to making every Library experience a positive one.
• MLS from an ALA-accredited institution
• 4 years current public library experience, including at least 1 year supervisory experience
• Evening and weekend hours are required
Salary negotiable based on experience.
Please send resume and references to email@example.com.
Application deadline: January 27, 2017 or until position is filled.